Locos and Cars
There aren't a lot of locos or rolling stock needed to operate a rather small switching layout. One loco and up to ten cars should be enough. But sometimes you buy more than you need ... :-)
All rolling stock is weathered, open cars have appropriate and removable loads.
All locos are equipped with DCC and sound. Sound adds a lot of realism during operations. Some locos are really a good fit for a switching layout, others were a must-have.
- SF 113 / 327 GP60M / GP60B (Fox Valley Models)
- SP 2621 SW1500 (Broadway Limited Imports)
- UP 2444 C30-7 (Broadway Limited Imports)
- Trackmobile (Broadway Limited Imports)
For all open cars easily removable loads are needed - scrap, coils, pipes and so on. Some examples can be found here.
I'm using different techniques for weathering my rolling stock:
- dry color powders
- water color
- acrylic color with airbrush
- acrylic color with different fine brushes
- matt varnish